Blake Ferree Bio




My name is Blake Ferree and I am based out of Boone NC where I love to rock climb and mt bike in our wonderful Appalachian Mountains. I also love playing my fiddle (Lisa) and listening to the Old-Time music that is so prevalent in this region of the country. I fell in love with canoeing through 4 summers of guiding in the Boundary Waters canoe area wilderness of Northern Minnesota which has become my second home. It was in the Boundary Waters that I learned how to find the peace of mind that an extended wilderness trip can bring and it has become a way for me to fill my soul. The winters in Minnesota have also captured my heart and I have worked as a dog sled guide and winter guide for a couple winters. Learning to live in the cold has changed my entire outlook on life and pushed me to be better in every respect. The sled dogs are part of that. Their passion for the sport is something that has inspired me to keep pushing on through the hard days.

I'm doing this race to push myself to the absolute max. I have always been fascinated in finding out what humans are capable of and there is no greater challenge laid before us than wilderness. We get too comfortable in our modern lives and I'm guilty of that as well. Sometimes we need a big dose of nature to put us in our place and make us understand how small we really are. When we challenge ourselves in the wilderness we don't always win. Sometimes we get windbound for hours or brought to a stop by a rushing storm but that's ok. When you know you can accomplish something there isn't as much of a drive to do it. When there are unknowns, challenges that you can't even predict and a wilderness where the variables are uncontrolled... That's when it gets exciting



,Blake

Comments